Friday, February 8, 2008

Zemfira (again)

Zemfira is currently (and probs since 2002) my favourite musician. It helps that she is

a) hot;
b) writes good poetry and good music to set it to;
c) quite possibly very gay (though never officially confirmed); and
d) only 6 months younger than me (I can't really explain right now why that matters, but it does, ok? It's easier to relate to famous people that way.)

It took me a few months to be able to hear Zemfira's new album "Thank you" - it's become a lot more difficult to get media from Russia over the last few years - now I can't even purchase music or DVDs from the Russian version of Amazon, which I totally could do even last year, so this sucks. Anyway, I have insomnia (again...) and I've spent the entire night listening to this album, so I have to share this song - I know none of you speak Russian, so I am posting the translation.

This is YouTube (I haven't figured out how to link properly) video for the song.

Pay no attention to the "prologue" in the video - it's a pretty standard Russian music video technique of "setting the scene" and is rather poorly done in case, I feel.

Zemfira – We crash/We are divided/We are shattered*

We scatter about on business,
Earth is divided/shattered in two.

Erase me, erase me,
Look into me, stay here.
Forgive me for my weakness,
And for loving you so strangely and desperately.

A sigh of regret escapes the lips...
We are hung up in all the wrong cities.
Moonlit phone calls...
Through provisional borders, I am with you.

Erase me,
Look into me, stay here.
Forgive me for my weakness,
And for loving you so strangely and desperately.

We scatter about on business,
Earth is divided/shattered in two.
A sigh of regret escapes the lips...
We are hung up in all the wrong cities.
Moonlit phone calls...
Through provisional borders, I am with you.

We scatter about on business,
Earth is divided/shattered in two.
We scatter about…
Earth is shattered…
We are shattered…

*as you can see, I haven't settled on one translation of the title...Russian is much more complex of a language than this here Ye-Olde-Anglo-something-something...


1 comment:

? said...

I have a video of on my blog. Thanks! BTW: I'm reading one of your favourite books master and margarita, did you enjoy it? I would like to visit again.