I subscribe to the NY Times UrbanEye, a daily alert of things cool in the Big Apple and in the paper itself. Since I don't actually LIVE in New York, reading UrbanEye is somewhat like magical thinking - imagining how cool it would be to attend events described in the digest, had I had more time and money and time and...
The blogs I've been dying to finish that WILL appear on this page...eventually...
* My trip to Houston (trust me, it's worth talking about)
* My trip to a craft fair
* The shows I've worked on this year (the main reason for not posting on any predictable schedule)
* IKEA Hacks
* Communism in architecture
Meanwhile, all I can offer is a list of New York Times articles I found fascinating.
1. A Guide to the French reminds me that I grew up in a Socialist country where the dressing and etiquette habits remain much the same as in France, and I love it.
2. Mikhail Baryshnikov takes the kinds of photos I end up with in a darkened theatre when I am not careful.
3. This has been covered on the Internets already, but $1 bus fares make me happy.
4. So do the "new" Polaroid snapshots.
5. LOVE this photograph of Gnarls Barkley!
As much as I love their music.
6. The government makes me really sad and scared.
7. Apparently, one can build reefs with decommissioned subway cars - do they not rust???
8. As women, we are conditioned to never ask what we want, or what we are worth. One woman intends to do something about it. I will be reading her book.
9. No offense, but college kids nowadays are bloody spoiled.
10. And pity the writer who lives outside Brooklyn (where all the cool kids are, apparently.)